Delicious Tuna Cakes
These Delicious Tune Cakes are a staple in our house and one of my favorite meals I cook. Not only are they packed with flavor but I love them because I usually have most of the ingredients on-hand and can whip them up in no time.
It’s rare that I buy canned foods (I try to stick to fresh produce and whole meats or fish) but when I do, I always choose Wild Planet Albacore Tuna. The fish they offer is wild and sustainably-caught – not farm-raised which is important to me- and also contain less mercury than standard canned fish.
I always keep several jars in our pantry so I have them for those weeknights when I’m not sure whether I’ll cook. The rest of the ingredients in this recipe – like egg, flour, breadcrumbs, mustard, mayo – I usually have in my fridge/pantry so it’s simple to pull these tuna cakes together.
Side note: I used to buy these cans of tuna for a whopping $5 each at Whole Foods (you’re paying for the better quality fish, of course) but I recently found the exact Albacore Wild Tuna on Amazon for $3 a can, so I now purchase in bulk from there.
I usually make these tuna cakes in advance during the day and then store in the fridge for a few hours. When you’re ready to eat, they’re ready in less than 10 minutes. Let me know how you like them!
Need an easy way to plan your meals for the week? Download my weekly meal planner.
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs
- 2 cans of tuna
- 1/3 cup flour (I sub almond flour)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayo (I sub Veganaise)
- 1 egg
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup of Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix together
- Form into patties (approximately 5)
- Put patties in the fridge for 20+ minutes so they harden
- When ready to cook, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saute pan on medium heat
- Add patties to the pan and let them sit undisturbed for 5 minutes and then flip; cook for another 5 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!