Want the taste of mashed potatoes without all of the carbs and fat? Look no further than cauliflower mash! You’ll be shocked how tasty these are – without any guilt!
So often when I cook, I make the same veggie side dishes over and over again.. sautéed broccoli, oven roasted asparagus, sautéed mushrooms… it gets a bit boring.
Cauliflower mash is one of my favorite sides because it’s guilt-free (made with cauliflower and low-carb/fat ingredients) but still has the creamy texture of my beloved mashed potatoes. I’ve been making this dish for a few years now and have to say, plain ‘ole cauliflower mashed up isn’t that good. BUT, I’ve modified this standard recipe over time to add in some ingredients that add a punch of flavor, like green onions and yes, a bit of low fat cream cheese. You’ll have to let me know what you think!
Oh-SO-Tasty Cauliflower Mash
- 2 large heads of cauliflower or 1 bag of crumbled cauliflower (I buy this at TJs or Mariano’s)
- 2 tablespoons low fat cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter (I use 1/2 Earth Balance to cut calories/fat)
- Bunch of green onions
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Add butter, cream cheese, scallions over low heat until butter melts
- Add bag of crumbled cauliflower to pot (If you bought cauliflower heads, crumble them in the food processor or with a cheese grater) and cover for 10 minutes or until they get soft
- Blend ingredients with an electronic hand mixer or masher
- Add garlic power, salt and pepper to taste, and parsley on top to serve
A healthy eating series focusing on simple, low carb/sugar dishes in 30 minutes or less. For more info on how MS affects my eating habits, click here.