In the words of my husband, “Holy $hit! That’s the best pasta ever!” And I have to admit, I agree. It was pretty damn good AND it was a healthy, gluten-free veggie pasta too. Who knew that was even possible?!
You all know that it’s a rarity for me to eat carbs but we are all human, and sometimes you need to get your fix. But when I do, I aim to eat the pasta that fits best with my dietary needs and is gluten free.
A good friend of mine introduced me to Barilla Gluten-Free pasta and it’s been a game changer ever since. First of all, I can’t even taste the difference with it being gluten free (and clearly neither can my husband!!) and it comes in so many varieties – like penne, elbow or even fettuccine – so you can use it for all types of dishes. I’m hooked and it’s now my go-to when I decide I need a pasta fix.
This pasta was so incredibly flavorful and it’s packed with veggies.I also love adding in the spicy turkey sausage – which is a much healthier alternative to regular sausage. It not only adds a bit of a kick but makes the dish feel more hearty too with protein, in addition to all the vegetables.
I will admit, this dish does take a bit of multi-tasking but that also means it can be cooked in 20 min – easy!
“Best Pasta Ever”
AKA Spicy Turkey Sausage & Pesto Veggie Pasta (that’s a mouthful, huh?)
- 1 box of Barilla Gluten-Free (I chose Penne but you can use whichever type you like)
- Bunch of asparagus
- 1 cup of sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 pound of spicy turkey sausage (de-cased)
- I case of pesto (you can make your own but I was tight on time)
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp garlic
- Few pieces of basil
- Add a few quartz of water to pot with touch of salt and bring to a boil
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- Chop asparagus into 3 inch pieces and discard the bottoms. Add a drizzle of olive oil and coat all over. Add to baking pan.
- Chop sun-dried tomatoes into pieces and set aside
- Add pasta to water once it has boiled. Cook for 6 min (it’s cooks further once you add in vegetables so you don’t want it to be overdone)
- While pasta is cooking, add asparagus and sun-dried tomatoes to the oven for 10 min
- In a sauté pan, heat oil and garlic. Once hot, add spicy turkey sausage and turn until its fully cooked. Add in two tablespoons of pesto and mix well.
- Once pasta is cooked, strain and add it back to the pot on low heat. Then, add in asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes, and remaining pesto from container. Mix together and add in turkey sausage and chili flakes.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese and basil on top
A healthy eating series focusing on simple, low carb/sugar dishes in 30 minutes or less. For more info on how MS affects my eating habits, click here.