OK, “enchiladas” may be stretching it but this tasty, carb and dairy-free dish will fulfill any Mexican craving because quite frankly, the sauce is to die for.
I discovered Frontera Grill’s Enchilada Sauce sauce at Whole Foods and immediately recognized the maker, Rick Bayless. Rick Bayless is a Chicago food legend and owner of famed restaurants like Frontera Grill, Topolobamp and XOCO. He’s known for traditional Mexican cuisine with a modern twist. Fun fact about him: he’s a Wicker Park resident too! I love his restaurants so I thought I’d give his sauces a shot and they did not disappoint.
Sometimes you just don’t have time to whip up a marinade and these easy packages do all of the work for you. I often use the enchilada sauce (it’s my favorite one) but have tried several others that are really tasty too. I recently discovered they are on Amazon – total score when you have Amazon prime!
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders
- 1 can black beans
- 3 peppers (mix of green, yellow and red)
- 1 pouch of Frontera Grill’s Enchilada Sauce
- Guacamole (I use this simple recipe )
- Chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste
- Spray olive oil all over an oven safe dish and heat oven to 400 degrees
- Trim chicken breasts and lay onto cooking dish
- Add salt, pepper and chili flakes to chicken breasts
- Cut up peppers into thin slices and and add them to dish with chicken
- Spread the enchilada marinade all over both the peppers and chicken and sprinkle over cilantro
- Put in oven for 20 minutes
- After 10 minutes mix the chicken and peppers around and add black beans
- Put back in oven for another 10 minutes or until chicken is done
- Serve and add scoop of guac on top
I love these sauces – they make weeknight dinner so easy and delicious! Below are some of my favorites that you can either buy at specialty grocery stores, like Whole Foods, or easily purchase from Amazon (links below).
A healthy eating series focusing on simple, low carb/sugar dishes in 30 minutes or less. For more info on how MS affects my eating habits, click here.