Zucchini Tater Tots
May 11, 2020 No CommentsCategory: Dinner, Side Dishes
Tags: Healthy Side, Kids Food, Kids’ Meal, Zucchini Tots
I love a good tater tot, don’t you?! While I rarely eat the real thing, I’ve made these healthy alternative Zucchini Tater Tots for Jack a few times and they’ve ended up being a household favorite. Unbeknownst to my fussy-eaters, they are packed with lots of zucchini and are baked, not fried, so they are truly a parenting win! Zucchini Tater Tots also include a cheddar cheesy goodness to them that make them delicious and addicting. I can’t help but go back for another and another..
A whole batch makes like 30 tots so you have enough for a meal and leftovers for the next day. You can dip them in ketchup or eat them plain – so good!
Zucchini Tater Tots
- 2 zucchini, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- Peel zucchini and shred with a cheese grater. When done, pat zucchini dry with a few sheets of paper towels. While you don’t need to completely dry the zucchini, you do want to absorb some of the moisture. I used about 4 sheets of paper towels. You want to keep drying the zucchini until the stage where when you pat the shredded zucchini with a paper towel, the paper towel is moist but no longer soaking with water.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Add zucchini, eggs, cheese, breadcrumbs and seasonings into big bowl. Stir until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Take 1 tablespoon of zucchini batter and squeeze between palm of hand, compressing it. Some water should also release out. Using both hands now, shape to resemble a cylinder tater tot shape. Place onto a baking sheet sprayed with Pam / Olive soil.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until bottoms are golden brown and crispy. Flip over and bake for another 10 minutes. Broil for 2-3 minutes at the end so they get crispy! Enjoy.
Plan out your weeknight nights in advance with my Weekly Meal Planner templates. You can find them all here.