Minestrone Your Kiddos (and You!) Will Love
March 8, 2020 No CommentsCategory: Dinner, Healthy Eating
Tags: Easy Dinner, Minestrone, Soup, Weeknight meal
I’m always looking for ways to get my kids to eat a lot of veggies and soup is the perfect solution. This minestrone is packed with veggies – carrots, peas, onions, leaks and celery – and I add beans and/or chicken for extra protein too. You can also add noodles if your kiddos prefer.
Best of all I can make it in advance and serve it all week long for lunch or dinner.
Another reason I love to make this is so Chloe can cook with me. She loves using her Curious Chef knives to help chop veggies and get involved in the process.
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Leak, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 Carrots, chopped
- 1 cup of peas
- 1 can of Cannellini beans
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 L / 4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock (use less if you prefer a thicker soup)
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning / Herbs, to taste
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1 cup pasta or shredded chicken
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large saucepan on medium heat.
- Add onion, leak, carrots, celery and sauté until cooked, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Mix in tomato paste, herbs, salt and pepper
- Add in vegetable or chicken broth and bring to a boil; then add in peas and beans
- Leave to simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.