Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup
The weather is starting to turn in Chicago so soup season is on the horizon. I wanted to share this easy yet deliciously comforting favorite that is perfect for this time of year.
This is not only one of my favorite recipes, but my daughter loves it too. She has become my little sous chef recently and helps do everything in the kitchen, from chopping to washing produce.
(BTW – if you have kids or grandkids, these knives are perfect for teaching them to chop! We use them daily)
This recipe is simple but what makes it extra delicious is the chunks of carrots, super tender chicken and egg noodles. I go back for seconds, every time!
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Need an easy way to plan your meals for the week? Download my weekly meal planner.
Full recipe is below
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 chicken breast (plus, dark meat if you'd like)
- 1 1/2 cup carrots (diced)
- 1 cup sweet onion (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 cups egg noodles
- 2 bay leaves
- In a pan, sauté carrots, celery, onion, minced garlic in olive oil or butter on medium heat. Cook until tender (approximately 5 min)
- Add in chicken breast which I season with oregano, theme and salt and pepper
- Add in chicken broth and bay leaves and bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 hr or more
- Take the chicken out of the soup and shred it with two forks; then, add back into the pot and turn off the heat. I like to let it sit for an hour or so and thicken up - this makes it taste better!
- When you're ready to eat, boil the soup and add egg noodles. Reduce heat to simmer and let them cook for 10 minutes before serving. If you add in the egg noodles earlier, they'll likely get soggy.
- Remove bay leaves and serve and enjoy!
If you're tight on timing you can easily buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it, or buy frozen veggies too.