Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup
The weather is starting to turn in Chicago so soup season is on the horizon. I wanted to share this easy yet deliciously comforting favorite that is perfect for this time of year.
This is not only one of my favorite recipes, but my daughter loves it too. She has become my little sous chef recently and helps do everything in the kitchen, from chopping to washing produce.
(BTW – if you have kids or grandkids, these knives are perfect for teaching them to chop! We use them daily)
This recipe is simple but what makes it extra delicious is the chunks of carrots, super tender chicken and egg noodles. I go back for seconds, every time!
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Need an easy way to plan your meals for the week? Download my weekly meal planner.
Full recipe is below
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 chicken breast (plus, dark meat if you'd like)
- 1 1/2 cup carrots (diced)
- 1 cup sweet onion (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 cups egg noodles
- 3 bay leaves
- In a pan, sauté carrots, celery, onion, garlic over olive oil on medium / high heat until tender (approximately 5 min)
- Add in chicken breast in quartered pieces (I do this so the chicken cooks faster), oregano and thyme and cook for 5 minutes; then flip chicken over for another 5 minutes or so
- Add in chicken broth, bay leaves and noodles and bring to a boil, then simmer for 20-30 minutes
- Take the chicken out of the soup and shred it with two forks; then, add back into the pot
- Let sit without heat before 1 hour+ before serving (I think this makes it taste even better!), Make sure to take out the bay leaves before serving.
If you're tight on timing you can easily buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it, or buy frozen veggies too.