This is one of those dishes that looks fancy enough to serve at a dinner party but really takes only 20 minutes to make – my kind of dinner! It’s so flavorful with the white wine sauce (which I’ve been known to eat by the spoonful since it’s that good), not to mention so good for you too!
- Cod is one of the healthiest proteins you can eat – it contains all of the essential omega-3 fats, which can help lower high blood pressure and risk of heart disease.
- It cooks within minutes! Yes, really.. like 5 minutes tops
- This sauce is so flavorful and takes minimal effort to put together
The one drawback to cod? It’s expensive! At $13+ / pounds, it’s not something you would make every week (or at least we wouldn’t). But, I’ve recently signed up for a Costco membership and fish selection is so impressive and cost efficient! Their salmon and cod is fresh and tastes AMAZING. Best of all, the cod is $8-9 a pound, making it much more reasonable.
I decided to make this dish with green beans (they add a bit of texture/crunch to the dish) but you can easily swap for spinach or asparagus.
White Wine Tomato Basil Cod + Green Beans
- 1 pound of cod (2-3 fillets)
- 3 cups of cherry tomatoes or 1 carton at the store
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch of basil
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon garlic for sauce, 1 teaspoon for green beans
- Salt, pepper, chili flakes to taste
- 1 bunch of green beans
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
Heat 2 tablespoon of olive oil and garlic to sauce pan. Once garlic has started to cook, add cherry tomatoes. Cover the sauté pan and let them cook until they pop open (usually 8 minutes or so).
Add cod filets to the same pan and cook for 5 minutes or under flaky. Add white wine sauce and serve with green beans. Add basil on top when serving.
A healthy eating series focusing on simple, low carb/sugar dishes in 30 minutes or less. For more info on how MS affects my eating habits, click here.