I love to cook and entertain, and recently offered to host a brunch for my former colleagues that have become good friends. I wanted to make something light but also applicable for both breakfast and lunch since they were arriving at 11am. I decided on avocado toast made two ways, and it was a hit!
When thinking about brunch details, I break down the planning by: focusing on the menu, selecting décor and mood details and finally, picking the serving pieces.
1) Plan your menu
- Aim for 3 dishes (one main and two sides) and one drink you’ll serve
- Select menu items based on season (summer versus fall) and time of day (if before noon, think about incorporate a “breakfast” item)
- Consider dishes you can make in advance or minimally prep prior to guests’ arrival
2) Select décor and mood
- Consider the tablescape and if you want to incorporate flowers or a centerpiece
- Prepare a music playlist or station you’ll listen to
3) Serve in style
- Pick out the dishes and serving utensils you’ll use based on your menu items
- Set the table prior to guests’ arrival
For my upcoming brunch, I decided on avocado toast made two ways – a balsamic heirloom tomato and a turkey bacon + eggs – plus a light, greens salad and mixed fruit. Since I would be juggling cooking with my baby’s nap schedule (oh the fun!), I selected menu items that weren’t temperature sensitive so I could make them in advance.Avocado Toast is one of my favorite dishes because it’s not only a crowd-pleaser but you can make it in so many different ways. Once you have the “basics” like the bread and avo spread, you can add just about any topping.
Avocado toast (6 people)
- 1 loaf of bread – the type of bread you use really makes or breaks this dish. I love Seduction bread (you can find it fresh from Whole Foods). It’s nutty and delicious, plus gluten-free (any fresh bread work great though)
- 4 ripe avocados
- Olive oil
- Sea salt, pepper and crushed red peppers
- 1 bin of heirloom tomatoes
- 1 package of fresh basil
- 1 bottle of balsamic dressing
- Salt and pepper
- 6 pieces of turkey bacon
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper
Directions: Avocado Toast
- Pre-heat broiler and cut bread into thin slices
- Lightly spread olive oil on each piece of bread and put into oven
- Broil for 2-3 minutes on each side (make sure to watch it because they can burn easily) and once finished, put bread to the side
- In a bowl, mix together avocados, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and sea salt, crushed red peppers to taste
- Spread over each piece of bread
- Chop basil into thin peices and tomatoes in half
- Add basil, tomatoes to bowl with 2 tablespoons of balsamic dressing. Mix well.
- Add a spoonful to each piece of toast
- Put tray of bread back into broiler for 1-2 minutes
- Plate and serve
Turkey Bacon + Eggs
- Sautee turkey bacon on stovetop for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and pat dry with paper towel. Cut pieces into thin slices once fully cooked and set aside.
- Place eggs in saucepan and cover completely with water and heat until it reaches a boil. Turn down heat and let them sit for 10 minutes, then drain water and let cool. Remove shells, chop cooked eggs and add pieces to a bowl with salt and pepper.
- Add slices of turkey to avocado toast, then layer on egg crumbles
A healthy eating series focusing on simple, low carb/sugar dishes in 30 minutes or less. For more info on how MS affects my eating habits, click here.